The WHS Class of 2017 is PLEASED to announce that on Friday, November 21st, directly after school... the POWDER PUFF FOOTBALL GAME is BACK to kick-off Homecoming Week!
Anyone is welcome to attend - parents, siblings, students, staff, family, friends, Trinity / SHS / AITE folks - anyone! Just show up at the Westhill Football Stadium on Friday, November 21st! There is NO ADMISSION FEE, though concession will be available for purchase (so bring a few bucks).
WHAT IS POWDER PUFF: A fun and festive football game in which teams composed entirely of WHS girls (all grades) take each other on. It's FLAG football (not tackle), so fear not! It's JUST one day! It's BONDING! It's FUN(NY)! It's FIERCE! It's Friday, November 21st.
I WANT TO PLAY!: You must be a Westhill student. You must be a girl. You do NOT need ANY football knowledge, only a willingness to "give it a go!" You must show up for ONE of two info sessions DIRECTLY afterschool this Thursday (11/6) or Friday (11/7) in room 432.
I WANT TO CHEER: You must be a Westhill student. You must be a boy. You do not need any cheer knowledge, only a desire to jump around and get the crowd hyped. And the ability to put together a cheer-worthy outfit. You must show up for ONE of two info sessions DIRECTLY afterschool this Thursday (11/6) or Friday (11/7) in room 432.
I WANT TO COACH: You must be a Westhill student. Boy or girl. Of sound mind and body. Capable of EXTREMELY mature decision-making. Possessing of football basics (see the list of rules, at the bottom of this email). You will be coaching the team composed of YOUR grade. You must be able to "boss your peers." You must also hold practices up until the game, so you need FREE TIME. You must show up for ONE of two info sessions DIRECTLY afterschool this Thursday (11/6) or Friday (11/7) in room 432.
I WANT TO REF: No, you don't. You really really don't. These girls are MEAN. Mr. Petrone and Mr. Page reffed for one year, and said "never again." It's that bad. You must show up for ONE of two info sessions DIRECTLY afterschool this Thursday (11/6) or Friday (11/7) in room 432. Any interested parents? You need only be available on Friday 11/21. Parents, if yes, email ktobin@StamfordCT.gov
We hope to see everyone AT the big game! All interested players, coaches and refs - see you EITHER this Thursday or Friday, DIRECTLY after school! Room 432!
Ms. Tobin, "PP Commish"
Powder Puff Rules (for interested coaches):
1) It's flag football (they will wear flags belted to their waists), no tackling. ALL PLAYERS on the field will have to wear flags - offense AND defense.
2) Blocking will be done with / by ARMS IN only.
3) Each team will have 8 players on the field at a given time.
4) The playing field will be ONLY a 50-yard field (consider that when coming up with plays, etc.) At least for the first 2 concurrent games. The second "championship" game may have an extended field.
5) The first two concurrent games will have two 15 minute halves with a running clock. Then we go to the halftime show.
6) The second, championship game will have two 15 or 20 minute halves with the clock stopping on penalties, time-outs, etc. Daylight is a factor, hence 15 to 20 mins. It lasts a lot longer than you'd think.
7) There will be no kickoff for any game - a ref coin toss determines who starts with the ball.
8) There will be no punting, and the team must progress on all downs.
9) First downs are every two hatchmarks - we will be playing the first two games side-by-side.
10) Touch-downs are scored by running into the endzones that will be determined with cones.
11) There will be no 2-point conversions, or field goals. But extra points (for an addition of 1-point, directly after touch downs) can be run-in or passed in.
12) There must be AT LEAST 3 down-linemen for a given play.
We hope to see you there!